In 2011, the CA Board approved up to six million dollars to either renovate or replace the clubhouse at Hobbit's Glen Golf Club. The clubhouse is more than 40 years old and is in need of several necessary renovations, as well as some desired enhancements. According to direction from the Board, the design effort was to be collaborative, including involvement from stakeholder groups and the community. The H. Chambers Company was hired to perform the architectural and engineering services for the project. After receiving input from the community and the work team, comprised of CA staff, Chambers staff, members of CA's Golf and Greens Advisory Committees, and members of the community, they presented two options to the CA Board of Directors in April 2012: one renovation and one replacement. The Board has selected the new building option, with the addition of a turnhouse.
» Visit our Frequently Asked Questions page
The original clubhouse was constructed in 1967. From historical accounts, the original structure was the result of economic-based compromises; severely reduced in size and grandeur from the originally planned structure. Further, accounts from various persons and organizations refer to the current structure as "temporary." The facility has had several additions to accommodate the changing needs of the community since the initial construction.
- Engage the community in an inclusive process for the redevelopment of Hobbit's Glen Golf Club Clubhouse.
- Present three options to the CA Board of Directors: one renovation, one replacement and one at the discretion of the consultant.
About H. Chambers Company
The H. Chambers Company is a full service architecture and interior design firm that specializes in planning and design of golf and country clubs. Founded in 1899 and headquartered in Baltimore, Md.,Chambers designed its first club, the Baltimore Country Club, in 1945. Today it has worked on hundreds of clubs nationwide and was the recent recipient of top honors for New Clubhouse (Inverness Country Club in Birmingham, Ala.) and Best Remodel /Renovation (Charlotte Country Club in Charlotte, N.C.) from Golf Inc. Magazine. More information on Chambers can be found at ChambersUSA.com.
For Media Resources
Visit our Media Resources page for media-related information, images and other resources.
For More Information
Contact Hobbit's Glen Golf Club at 410-730-5980.
August 2013 Clubhouse and Turnhouse
Columbia Association (CA) expects that work on a new clubhouse and turnhouse at Hobbit's Glen Golf Club will begin this fall, and will wrap up 12 months later. The estimated start for demolition and construction is November 2013, with the project expected to finish in November 2014.
- The pro shop operation and snack bar will be in a trailer at the end of the parking lot near the tennis courts.
- Carts will be stored at the maintenance facility, which will require more coordination of bringing up carts in the am time frame.
- Once the turnhouse is completed, the snack bar will be moved to that building.
- Outings will be catered by CoHo Grill and an after-party tent (location TBD) will provide a place for the outings to congregate.
Board Presentation Support Materials - Part I
Board Presentation Support Materials - Part II
Presentation of Options by H. Chambers Company (from 4/12/12 Board meeting)