Howard County General Hospital
5755 Cedar Lane, Columbia
Howard County General Hospital — a member of Johns Hopkins Medicine — is a private, not-for-profit, community health care provider, governed by a community-based board of trustees. Opened in 1973, the original 59-bed, short-stay hospital has grown into a 182-bed comprehensive, acute-care medical center specializing in women's and children's health education. In July of 1998, Howard County General Hospital joined Johns Hopkins Medicine.
- HCGH staff includes nearly 1,800 full- and
- HCGH is the fifth largest employer in Howard
County and employs more than 1,000 Howard County
- More than 500 volunteers contributed over 45,000 hours of service in FY 2009, working
in all areas of the hospital and the community
in support of the hospital and its services
- The professional staff is comprised of more
than 800 physicians and allied health professionals,
representing more than 70 specialties and subspecialties.
Ninety-three percent of the physicians are board-certified
in their specialty.
- Hospital expenditures total approximately
$210 million, much of which is spent locally
for food, goods and services. This figure includes
salaries and benefits of over $96 million.
(Hospital information courtesy